One day trip to a mountain forest near Medellín
Depending on the group size and weather conditions, we will spend the day in one of the following places:
Medellín river headwaters
Just 45 minutes South of Medellin, this is a natural area with extensive secondary forests feeding the headwaters of Medellín River and hosting 16% of the country’s biodiversity.
Highlights: Showy orchids like Maxillaria fractiflexa, Comparettia falcata, Sigmatostalix and a variety of Dichaea, Andinia, Pleurothallis and Stelis species. The amazing Booted Racket-Tail Hummingbird also inhabits these forests together with the Red Bellied Grackle, some Trogons and plenty of tropical butterflies and insects.
Alto de las Baldías
This is the highest peak around Medellín reaching up to 3150 m. The paramo habitat closest to the city can be visited here, a fragile and distinctive eco-system with scrub forests, pastures, and wetlands inhabited by many interesting plants and a diversity of highland orchids. On clear days there are spectacular views of the Cauca and Aburrá valleys.
Highlights: A variety of species of Telipogon, Epidendrum, Oncidium and Cyrtochilum, the rare and showy Lepanthes tibouchinicola, the recently described Fernandezia ortiziana and a variety of miniature orchids. The Frailejón, a strange kind of plant unique to the paramos of Northern South America can also be observed.
Date and price:
- Aug 11, 2019. 1 day. 10 pax. $90
Included: Lunch and snacks, road transfers, one tour leader, natural area entrance fees, travel insurance.
Not included: Everything not mentioned in the included section.
What to bring:
- List of contacts in case of emergency
- Insect repellent
- Sunblock lotion
- Hat or cap
- Long sleeved shirt
- Raincoat or poncho
- Coat or jacket
- Rubber boots
- Camera with battery and memory card
READ! - Rules and recommendations
- Because of the limited number of places (10), we recommend you reserve your spot as soon as possible.
- All participants should be in good health and physical condition. We reserve the right to limit participants due to health or fitness reasons.
- Although our destinations are safe, do not leave your valuable items inside the car or unattended.
- As we visit protected areas and support nature conservation, please be respectful, and do not harm or collect any flora or fauna.
Want to reserve a place?
Click below to get you on board.